Table of Contents DRO Store Classifieds Speed Connections Archives & Search Contact DRO

My Final Report From
“The Million”

By Jok Nicholson

ell, it didn’t end up EXACTLY like I had hoped, but it was one of the most fun bracket races to watch that I've ever been to. The best of the best drivers and hundreds of well-prepared drag cars. I had actually hoped to give you round-by-round results, but I just wasn’t prepared with the right equipment to scan the round sheets or stay up so late to get the results. Sorry about that. Note: I am trying to get them to send them to me from the Million so I can put together some statistics for you.

I know you are all waiting to hear how the “Back-2-Basics” dragster fared in The Million Dollar Race weekend. I was actually worried about the old chassis and swap meet engine holding up against the high-dollar teams. Jeff filled you in on my red-light Thursday, as I just didn’t add enough to the delay box from my afternoon time run until my 8 p.m. elimination run and I red-lighted by .004 in the second round. Friday the two time runs were 5.186 and 5.190. We dialed a 5.18 and I had a rather mediocre .017 reaction time and ended up breaking out by .002 more than Luke Bogaki did.

The Million Dollar Race on Saturday seemed so big to me that it was the first time in years I actually felt nervous before a race. It wasn’t the money to be won, as that was still eight to ten rounds and seven hours away. I think it is the anticipation and knowing everyone was bringing their A-game and hoping I was up for the task at hand. The “Back-2-Basics” chassis was working great which speaks well for the design and durability of a 10-year-old Danny Nelson’s Racecraft Chassis.

The two time runs were solid as both 60 foots were 1.164 and the car ran 5.168 and 5.159 and reaction times of -.010 and -.009. The quicker reaction times didn’t bother me as they were the same settings as yesterday in the bright sun and it was overcast today so I was
picking up the top bulb better and “was paying attention” like I wanted to. (I know some of you readers think this is boring information, but if you race, the entire process of a big race is broken down into small segments of concentration. The reaction time is just part of it).

Next was the three-hour wait from the last time run until I made it to the start line for first round. A lot of things went through my mind while I was waiting in the staging lanes. One of the main things I thought about was how lucky I was to just be able to be here with Barb and Andy and knowing that I had met a lot of the racers who were there over the years. I am also very thankful I have healed so well from my major surgery to be able to get in and out of the dragster with no problem. All of a sudden the actual first round jitters were gone and I was just anxious to get to the task as hand.


Copyright 1999-2005, Drag Racing Online and Autographix