Volume X, Issue 9, Page 98

Project Muscrate …

all the ‘little’ things.

Hi everyone and welcome back! As I sit here typing it is about 56 degrees outside and cloudy with rain. The forecast is for highs in the upper 60’s, maybe low 70’s, and it feels a whole lot like Fall. I have finally resigned myself to the fact that I wont be racing in 2008. Now while that is definitely a disappointment it is also a relief in a weird sort of way. I figure now I have until April 2009 to get the car finished! Wow! I’m ahead of schedule!

If that’s not a good use of “racer math” I don’t know what is! I have some very exciting things in the works for this winter and when I finally get ol’ Muscrate on the track next spring the payoff for all this work should be fantastic! I’ll give you a clue about one of the exciting elements to be covered in a not so distant series of articles. Have you ever wondered what a NASCAR Cup type engine would run like in a drag car? Hmmmmm. On to the taters’.


This is the tubular battery mount that welds to the frame rails and supports all the weight. The floor goes over it and then the plastic boxes are installed.

In the last article I covered the installation of the Competition Engineering 12-point roll cage along with my own custom additions to construct an SFI 25.5 legal cage. Since then I have not been able to spend as much time as I would like on the car, of course, but I have made some progress. Now that fall and winter are upon us I anticipate being able to hit it harder in the after hours and really see some progress.

What I want to cover this month is some of the “little things” that are involved in a project of this magnitude that always take longer and are more complicated than they may first appear.

One of the first things I did after the basic frame was constructed was to install the fuel cell. I also needed to find room for two battery mounts, a weight box to allow me to adjust the weight of the car if needed, a main electrical shutoff, mounts for the fuel pump and filter, figure out where the new fuel line is going to be routed, and more.

Oh, and then there was the task of making seat mounts for the shiny new aluminum Kirkey seats -- that should be easy, right? I’m embarrassed to say how much time I spent on the seat mounts, but it was maddening to say the least. So, let’s cover these things in the order mentioned.

The fuel cell I am using was purchased from Motorstate Distributing, which is one of the parts vendors I use on a daily basis at my shop. They have a private label line of products sold under the name of Allstar Performance. I don’t know who makes it for them but it is a 5 gallon welded aluminum cell with a foam baffle and two outlets with -08 AN fittings and a vent at the top. It is a nice piece with a sumped bottom and doesn’t weigh any more than a cheap plastic cell. And it only costs $140.00. The cell also has four mounting brackets welded to it so I figured out where I wanted to mount it and positioned it so that the sumped part was the only portion that would be below the bottom of the new frame rails.

Here's What's New!